Borg backup is complaining about msgpack python package version

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Fri Jan 5 14:07:17 UTC 2024

On 5/1/2024 23:45, Clemens Lang wrote:
> For reasons I don't understand, borgbackup wants to allow-list every new
> version of the msgpack library manually, so every update of the msgpack
> library breaks borgbackup.

It's likely because many python module projects have a culture of very
poor backward compatibility practices. Interfaces change in incompatible
ways all the time, often without the compatibility break being
documented. I would assume a past minor version increase of msgpack
broke borgbackup, which created a support burden for them, so now they
pin the version.

This is bad for basically everyone, because client projects stick with
old versions with old bugs out of caution even when newer ones would
work fine (as in this case), it creates extra work when they do update,
and it's really easy to get into situations with diamond dependencies
where conflicting versions of the same module are required. This one
issue is largely responsible for the need to have a separate venv for
every project, each with identical or only slightly different copies of
many of the dependencies.

And unfortunately, this is a social issue with no easy fix. :(

- Josh