py311+-mysqlclient

Henning Hraban Ramm hraban at fiee.net
Wed Jan 10 07:47:04 UTC 2024

Am 09.01.24 um 22:32 schrieb Craig Treleaven:
>> On Jan 9, 2024, at 3:55 PM, Henning Hraban Ramm <hraban at fiee.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> is there a reason there’s no py311 or py312 version of mysqlclient?
>>
>> Hraban
>>
> I created it for something I used to work on.  The other thing has gone by the wayside.  Our user stats didn’t show anybody else using it so I hadn’t really thought about it for some time.  Now that I look, I see that upstream has made some non-trivial updates.
>
> https://ports.macports.org/port/py-mysqlclient/details/
>
> I’ll have a go at updating it.  May take a few days.

Thank you!

I have MacPort’s Python 3.11 as my default Python. Additionally
installed 3.10 now and made a virtualenv with it where I needed
mysqlclient (a local test environment for a Django app that I wanted to
check on different Python versions); I couldn’t get mysqlclient (3.10)
working, since the global one isn’t available in the venv and pip can’t
install it (I guess the mysql-dev libs are missing). I symlinked the one
from MacPorts’ Python framework into the venv’s site-packages, and it
works so far, but I don’t like such hacks, since now my requirements.txt
doesn’t work for the local installation any more.

If you had hints how to resolve this situation better, I’d be glad. (I
found nothing helpful on the internet, search engine results just aren’t
usable any more…)

(I’m still on Mojave BTW.)

Hraban