/opt/local/var/macports

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Jan 23 09:28:01 UTC 2024

> Are there negative side-effects to moving this largish subdirectory to an external drive and connecting via soft link?

I haven't tried it myself in a while, but as far as I know having it on
another volume should work fine. You don't need the link, since this
location is configurable as 'portdbpath' in macports.conf. The negative
effects are really just the usual effects of using an external drive.
Builds and registry operations will be limited by the drive's speed, and
there will be an additional performance penalty when activating ports
because the files are extracted in the software directory and then moved
into place, and that move will be across volumes with this configuration.

- Josh