I just wanted to upgrade my older MacPorts version

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Mar 11 10:56:24 UTC 2024

On Mar 8, 2024, at 03:18, xmartin wrote:

> 1) You are right. The directory  /opt/local/var has always been part of MacPorts. In fact, I had a backup of the older version and, obviously this directory was still there… The only important difference is that now this /var directory contains a new subdirectory (called /macports), and not existing in the older MacPorts version, that contains the following subdirectories:
> /build   /distfiles  /home /incoming  /logs  /registry  /sip-workaround   /software  /sources
> and a file called pingtimes.  Most of those subdirectories contain a lot of directories and files...

/opt/local/var/macports has also always existed (well, at least since the project was renamed to MacPorts) but it is usually hidden. If you are now seeing it in the Finder, then I guess the hidden flag has gotten unset somehow. It won't affect MacPorts functionality. You can hide it again if you wish.

> 2) After typing "sudo port version” I get the following answer:
> [iMac-de-Martin:~] xmartin% sudo port version
> Warning: port definitions are more than two weeks old, consider updating them by running 'port selfupdate'.
> Version: 2.9.1

Great, so MacPorts was indeed successfully updated to 2.9.1, but the post-update sync failed to update your ports collection due to your rsync problem.