ld: can't write output file for architecture ppc

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Sun Mar 17 23:14:41 UTC 2024

raf wrote:

> I've been told that macports needs to be selfupdated at least annually.
> If it's been too long between selfupdates, it can fail (It did for me once
> on 10.6.8). You might need to reinstall macports instead of selfupdate.
>
> To any expoerts out there, does that sound helpful?

I wouldn't uninstall just yet, and definitely not without making a
backup first, as it will remove the possibility of easily restoring the
old versions.

When you upgrade, MacPorts will only deactivate the old versions of
ports (unless specifically told to immediately uninstall them). So you
should be able to activate the older versions to get back to the state
you were in previously. It should be pretty obvious which is which based
on the timestamps in 'port -v installed'.

If you want to try to go ahead with upgrading, I would first 'port
deactivate active' and then 'port install' (not upgrade) the ports you
want to use. That will still use anything you already have installed if
possible, saving some build time, and will avoid any issues with ancient
variants, replaced ports and such.

If that still fails, you still have the option of reactivating the old
versions.

- Josh