Unstated dependencies on gettext

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Thu Dec 28 17:00:47 PST 2006

After having updated gettext, I'm finding a number of ports that are
linking against libintl (provided by gettext) but don't declare a
dependency on gettext.

For example, gsed links against libiconv, but doesn't declare a
dependency on gettext.

The question I have is, would some of these ports have worked if
gettext wasn't installed, but just happen to link against libintl for
extra functionality if it's there? I don't want to go adding gettext
dependencies all over the place if it's not strictly needed, but on
the other hand I'd like to be able to look up all ports that link
against gettext, since upgrading it changed the major version number
(actually, only version number) of the library and so everything has
to re-link.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org