Policy on minor port changes?

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Sat Dec 30 08:00:34 PST 2006

On Dec 30, 2006, at 7:39 AM, Kevin Ballard wrote:

> What's the policy on making minor, harmless portfile changes to
> ports you don't maintain?
>
> For example, ticket #11201 says a dependency is missing to p5-
> locale-gettext (namely, perl5.8). This port is maintained by
> yeled at macports.org. It would be a trivial fix to commit, but to be
> safe I simply reassigned the ticket to yeled at macports.org. However,
> there's no guarantee he'll actually see it.
>
> So in a case like this, should I just go ahead and commit a fix? Or
> is it better to wait for the maintainer to do so, even for minor
> fixes like this?

That depends on what sort of relationship you have with the other
committer. If you're unsure, sending the committer a quick email to
ask whether they mind your commit is the best course. And of course
if you don't hear back within the proscribed 72 hours to your bug,
you're free to make the commit regardless.

And as a last word, I'd say that if the update is critical for any
reason such that your just can't wait, and you're willing to stand by
your change, to go ahead and do the change, sending the committer a
note explaining your action...

James