Renaming a port

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Thu Nov 2 15:21:46 PST 2006

On Nov 2, 2006, at 5:25 PM, cssdev at mac.com wrote:
>> I would vote to just svn mv it and check in an updated portfile,
>> but I could see where an argument could be made to make it easier
>> for users who only do 'port upgrade' to know what is going on.
>
> What about adding a ui_error message indicating that the old port
> has been renamed?

That was what I was thinking of for the case where we left the
existing port there for a while.

The port's description should probably be changed to indicate that
it's old, been replaced by the newer port, and will be going away in
the future too.

> Users would need to deactivate the old port before attempting to
> build or install the new one. Could that be somehow automated as a
> part of port upgrade?

The current upgrade code doesn't have any hooks that would enable
that sort of behavior.
--
Daniel J. Luke