X11 ports

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Tue Oct 10 21:58:43 PDT 2006

Vincent Lefevre <vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org> on Tuesday, October 10, 2006
at 5:45 PM -0800 wrote:
>This is probably a config problem. Under Linux, one can have fonts in
>/usr/local/share/fonts (in addition to /usr/share/fonts) and they are
>found.
>
>> I've tried putting the ${prefix}-my-font-path in the catalogue path
>> in /etc/X11/fs/config but it still can't find them.
>
>Do you mean you're using a font server on your machine?
>
>Otherwise I don't know how the font paths are set up under Mac OS X.
>Perhaps with the xset command from the system and/or user xinitrc.
>Moreover some applications use /etc/fonts/fonts.conf or
>$prefix/etc/fonts/fonts.conf (via libraries such as Xft).

'/usr/X11R6/bin/xset fp+ /my/font/path/' works, but only until X11 is
restarted.  So you either put that command in your .xinitrc or in the
system default  /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc and it is permanent.  Sweet!

>> Also, what about writing to /etc/X11/app-defaults? It seems to me
>> there may be no way around that.
>
>There is. See XFILESEARCHPATH and XUSERFILESEARCHPATH in the X(7) man
>page. These environment variables may be set up in the system and/or
>user xinitrc.

I see.  Shouldn't MacPorts have a common location for that?  Such as
${prefix}/etc/X11/app-defaults?

Mark