macports without root?

Marc André Selig mas at seligma.com
Sun Oct 15 12:04:45 PDT 2006

On 15.10.2006, at 02:59, Paul M. Lambert wrote:

> I'm trying to build a macports installation that runs entirely out
> of a user's home directory.
[...]
> Is this a problem with that port, or does macports require root in
> general?

Certain targets require root in general, notably destroot and install.

> If it's the latter, any suggestions on how I could go about
> patching it to allow fully non-root user installations?

I don't think there is a general solution to this.  port destroot is
like saying make install.  The software you're trying to install
takes over at that point, and in a unix world, it may well do things
that require root.  After all, make install is traditionally run as
root.  To change this, you have to change the software you're trying
to install to work around not having root access.

IOW, you will probably have to patch individual portfiles to patch
the software being installed to not do anything during make install
that might need root.

Regards,
Marc