Upgrading edited ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Oct 26 00:10:12 PDT 2006

Hi. Now that I'm a committer, I have some questions about how I'm
meant to be proceeding with my duties of editing ports. There are two
titles on the wiki that sound like they would answer this question --
CommitterDocs and NewCommittersGuide -- unfortunately both of these
documents explain very little.

Following basically these instructions (which seem like they should
be in the wiki somewhere)...

http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2006-October/
000488.html

...(except using https) I checked out the trunk from the repository
and changed my sources.conf to point to the dports directory. Then I
set about making changes to the ImageMagick port, updating it to the
current version.

Now that I've done that, "port outdated" still doesn't show my
installed ImageMagick to be outdated. Is it supposed to? Or am I
supposed to force the installation with "sudo port upgrade -ncuf
ImageMagick", which is what I'm doing?