Is libffi obsolete?

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Wed Sep 20 10:44:45 PDT 2006

On Sep 20, 2006, at 5:39 PM, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 23:22, Mark Duling wrote:
>
>> Is libffi obsolete?  Is it desirable and/or feasible to run it on
>> OS X
>> anymore?  Looks like it isn't under active development.
>>
>> http://sourceware.org/libffi/
>>
>> https://svn.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/10232
>
> The PyObjC project maintains their own, modern fork of libffi,
> which is what the port fetches.

The file the port tries to download isn't the maintained copy of
libffi. I've fully integrated the libffi build into the PyObjC build
and we no longer distribute a current standalone copy of libffi.

The copy of libffi at the head of the PyObjC repository supports both
darwin/ppc and darwin/x86 (it passes all libffi unittests on these
two platforms). It is a partial copy of libffi, I have removed all
files that are needed for support of other architectures to futher
"document" that our copy of libffi is a limited fork.

If someone wants to port our changes to the trunk of GCC I'm willing
to answer questions. At one point I did try to do that port, but as
their copy of libffi doesn't compile with the version of gcc that is
shipping with Xcode 2.3 I gave up before actually starting.

Ronald