"Turning off Apple's MTA" after postfix port install

Charlie Allom yeled at macports.org
Mon Sep 25 21:13:11 PDT 2006

On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 05:45:24PM -0700, Mark Duling wrote:
> The postfix port's ui_msg's say  ".... you may also want to turn off your
> system's MTA".  At first I thought I didn't have to do anything because it
> worked immediately, but then I discoverd that when sending mail with the
> 'mail' command locally it was blind to the local aliases.  Here is what I
> did to fix that:
>
> sudo mv /usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail.old
> sudo ln -s /opt/local/sbin/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail

this can be accomplished various ways. I use my $PATH personally.

> Is that disabling the local MTA in its entirety?  Or just a part of it?

Apple have an extra tool that starts postfix "when needed"

http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/10.4.7.x86/postfix-147/watchpostfix.c

either recompile that, or chmod -x it.

> Because I want to change the ui_msg's to be more accurate so people will
> know and not spend the time I did figuring out how to make it all work and
> I'm not sure if I've done all that should be done.

also edit/remove the launchd item yadda yadda yadda..

--
 hail eris
 http://rubberduck.com/