Website redesign (was Re: Please clear up DarwinPort/MacPorts confusion)

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Apr 9 02:22:45 PDT 2007

On Apr 8, 2007, at 14:00, Sean Fulton wrote:

> Redesign the whole site would definitely require planning and
> discussion. I feel like the documentation issue is more immediate.
> Right now it doesn't exist except for anyone knowledgeable enough
> to delve into the SVN repository.

I have tried and failed. I have a working copy of the trunk. But the
documentation is not in the www directory. Instead, it appears to be
in the doc directory, in docbook-xml format. To build the HTML pages
apparently requires that I install the docbook-xsl port. Ok, but even
then, I can't build it:

$ cd doc/guide
$ make
xmllint --xinclude --noout "xml/guide.xml"
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:99: parser
error : Content error in the external subset
<!ENTIT
^
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:99: parser
error : Content error in the external subset
<!ENTIT
    ^
xml/guide.xml:80: element include: XInclude error : could not load
xml/portfiles/details.xml, and no fallback was found
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:99: parser
error : Content error in the external subset
<!ENTIT
^
http://www.oasis-open.org/docbook/xml/4.2/dbpoolx.mod:99: parser
error : Content error in the external subset
<!ENTIT
    ^
xml/guide.xml:113: element include: XInclude error : could not load
xml/project/submission.xml, and no fallback was found
make: *** [check] Error 1
$

Long story short: I'm gonna read the docs using the Internet Archive
from now on:

http://web.archive.org/web/20060427120406/http://
darwinports.opendarwin.org/docs/

> For a start I would like to see all of the old docs dumped into the
> Wiki so people have access to them and some could hack on them.
> I've found there are parts that I would have edited as I was
> learning/using DarwinPorts/MacPorts.

Do we want to do that? Admittedly wikis are easier to edit. But
wasn't the docbook format chosen for a reason? To those who remember:
What was that reason? Does it still apply?

> p.s. my account is messed up. I tried to update it as the
> macosforge site tells you but I still cannot access 'My Account'
> profile. And, is the Wiki open to editing by anyone with an
> account? I don't see any option to edit pages. The only thing I can
> seem to do is file tickets.

I am under the impression that anyone should be allowed to edit wiki
pages. When I access wiki URLs beginning with https and log in with
my macports account, there is an Edit This Page button at the bottom
of each.