Website redesign (was Re: Please clear up DarwinPort/MacPorts confusion)

Sean Fulton seanasy at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 11:15:14 PDT 2007

On Apr 9, 2007, at 1:46 PM, Landon Fuller wrote:

> On Apr 9, 2007, at 10:17, markd at macports.org wrote:
>
>> But the disadvantage, as opposed to a Wiki, is that joe user can't
>> make
>> changes to the docs.  And that is what people want.  Although I
>> wonder if
>> we have Joe user contributing to the docs if it will really be
>> better.  It
>> may be, I just don't know.
>
> I've come across a number of projects using wiki documentation
> lately. Lacking any centralized editing, it tends to vary wildly in
> quality, substance, and style. Information is poorly organized and
> difficult to find, and documentation is often duplicated.
>
> Maybe my experiences aren't a sufficiently representative example,
> but I've been left with a very poor impression of open source wiki
> documentation.
>
> -landonf

I'm, personally, not opposed to Docbook but think that Wiki
documentation would happen a lot quicker. It all depends on whether
there is anyone putting significant effort into documentation. If
there is a documentation lead who keeps on top of it and manages
changes, submissions, etc., Docbook is a logical choice.

If documentation is taking a back seat, I think the Wiki is the best
alternative to no documentation. Let us users share what we glean
from the mailing-lists and using MacPorts in the absence of
documentation by the people who built it.

	Sean