Ports that install binaries

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Fri Apr 13 12:16:12 PDT 2007

On Apr 13, 2007, at 4:16 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> True... Thanks... I guess what I should have asked is if there were
> any ports that download disk images and install their contents,
> since that's a bit more complicated. I know MacPorts knows how to
> extract files from .tar.gz and .tar.bz2 archives, but I'm wondering
> if there's anything in place for .dmg files.
>
> Grepping all portfiles for "dmg" I only see one -- abiword -- which
> lets you choose either to compile from source or install a binary
> from a disk image. For the latter, it looks like this:

Unfortunately, you're sort of heading down a bad street here, at the
end of which is a small gang of thugs with switchblades and they want
your wallet.

The problem with using hdiutil is that it really screws with using the
port from different scenarios (like ssh'ing into a machine) where
DiskArbitration cannot necessarily be contacted, or in doing automated
builds.  I used to run into AbiWord and at least one other port (I
believe it was Chmox) mounting disk images on my build machine and
then just leaving them there, so by the time the run was complete I
had these extra volumes on my desktop that I couldn't unmount again
because the references had gotten spooged by virtue of the fact that
they got mounted from within a chroot (which was now gone), confusing
all heck out of DiskArb.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any true command-line tools for
extracting things from disk images as if they were true archives.
Sounds like a fine SoC project. :-)

- Jordan