Is using TclX acceptable?

Jordan K. Hubbard jkh at brierdr.com
Sat Apr 14 22:20:42 PDT 2007

On Apr 14, 2007, at 7:58 PM, Elias Pipping wrote:

> I'll begin with a story - scroll down to the part
> with exclamation marks in front if you're in a hurry

I think there are three answers to your question (well, two answers to
your specific question and an answer to a question you did not ask :-)

1. As Kevin has already pointed out, MacPorts is still stuck
supporting Panther for now, so relying on the full feature set of the
"Batteries Included Tcl" we started shipping with Tiger isn't going to
work, as much as it would be nice.

2. Once Leopard is released, unless MacPorts is completely rewritten
in Ruby or ${NewLanguageHotness}, I think leveraging more of the
Batteries Included distribution would be a fine idea, and not because
I'm trying to get Tcl even more deeply entrenched but because, let's
face it, BI Tcl includes a lot of really nice functions that would
make MacPorts code more powerful and concise if leveraged, so why not
leverage it?  If people don't, then I have to say that there was
little point in including a more functional Tcl distribution by
default.  Other platforms, should they ever become truly significant
targets for MacPorts, also support TclX so that's no barrier to entry
either.

So, I guess to answer your question directly:  Yes, great idea, just
not yet.

To answer the question you didn't ask, namely: "What's the best way to
implement something like a recursive glob function if other
constraints keep me from using Tcl?"

Write it in C and stick it in Pextlib.  Sorry, I know that's an
annoying answer, but it's how I'd do it.  Including great big chunks
of TclX instead (since, as Kevin also pointed out, it's fairly
interdependent) would be a far less palatable alternative and far less
self-contained than a simple C function added to base.

- Jordan