MacPorts 1.4.1 released for self update

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Mon Apr 16 15:30:49 PDT 2007

Hi Dave,

On Apr 16, 2007, at 2:57 PM, Dave Hill wrote:

> In article <EF666B3B-1B9F-4C67-890A-92259A131643 at macports.org>,
>  James Berry <jberry at macports.org> wrote:
>
>> MacPorts 1.4.1 has been released for selfupdate. It should hit the
>> rsync servers within an hour or so.
>>
>> If you already have macports installed, simply "sudo port
>> selfupdate". If  you're doing a new install, install from the 1.4.0
>> disk image, then do a selfupdate.
>
> Doesn't work on 10.3.9.
>
> "sudo port -v selfupdate" ends with:
>
> checking for xml2-config... /usr/bin/xml2-config
> checking for libxml >= 2.6.11... 2.6.16
> checking libxml/xmlwriter.h usability... no
> checking libxml/xmlwriter.h presence... no
> checking for libxml/xmlwriter.h... no
> configure: error: Cannot build without libxml2
> configure: error: ./configure failed for src/programs/xar
>
> It's picking up the xml2-config from the BSD package which points
> it at
> /usr/include/libxml2/libxml - the contents of which come from the
> DevSDK
> package and don't include xmlwriter.h
>
> If I temporarily rename xml2-config out of the way it doesn't find the
> one from dports, it just says it can't find xml2-config at all.
>
> Do I still have a functioning 1.4.0 install or am I hosed?

Thanks for the report. Looks like we have problem building xar on
Panther, due to a libxml2 library that is too old on panther. You
should still have a functioning 1.4.0 system. You may type "port
version" to verify.

I'll probably put out  a1.4.2 tonight that fixes this unless I can
find another workaround. I think my solution will be to not build xar
at all, for now.

James.