Fixed-width font in commit mails?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 21 01:25:43 PDT 2007

On Apr 18, 2007, at 21:45, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> On Apr 18, 2007, at 7:15 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Could a fixed-width font be used in the diff section of the commit
>> mails? That would help columns to align properly.
>
> you could always view the plain-text alternative in a mailer with a
> fixed-width font...

Yes, but I do not wish to press the "view plain-text alternative"
keyboard shortcut every time I open a message from the macports-
changes list, and I do not want to configure my email program to
always show the plain-text alternative, because I generally have
nothing against HTML email. Also, I do not have my email program
configured to view my plain-text emails in a fixed-width font, nor do
I want to do that.

If a portfile uses tabs to align columns, then this may or may not
align properly when viewed in a mail program, depending on the mail
program's definition of a tabstop. If a portfile uses spaces to align
columns (which is the preferred method to ensure it looks right
regardless of the user's editor's tabstop rules -- assuming fixed-
width fonts in the editor), then it will not look right in any email
client unless a fixed-width font is used. Therefore, the mail should
be sent with a fixed-width font specified.

> Otherwise, I think the commit mails are the default SVN::Notify
> HTML::ColorDiff style. I'm not sure if there's a simple hook to
> change the font that the CSS sets.

I wanted to play with svnnotify to see if I could find such an
option, but I don't know how to install it. Is there a MacPorts way
to install svnnotify?