startupitem.inetdcompat or newbie base hacking!

Chris Pickel chpickel at stwing.upenn.edu
Sun Apr 22 14:17:43 PDT 2007

While we're on the subject of StartupItems/LaunchDaemons, I had a
quick question as well: is there any reason startup is always passed
through daemondo? I understand that, in some cases, it's the only
viable option. However, in others, I know of no reason this is
necessary. I've been using launchd directly with lighttpd, mysql5,
and ccxstream for some time with no adverse affects; see:

http://xml.sfiera.net/net.sfiera.lighttpd.plist
http://xml.sfiera.net/net.sfiera.mysql5.plist
http://xml.sfiera.net/net.sfiera.ccxstream.plist

Is there some way of providing support for this alternate type of
startup item to Tiger installations? It's not that important now,
though it would be necessary if, for example, lighttpd were ever to
support launchd-style port selection.

(It's perfectly understandable if the answer is, "we'll think about
it when Leopard comes out and we only target launchd")

Chris