Tor and unusual version numbers

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Apr 27 05:32:04 PDT 2007

On Apr 27, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Boey Maun Suang wrote:
> On 27/04/2007, at 11:20, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
>
>> and for the immediate workaround, the port maintainer can bump the
>> epoch.
>
> Isn't that going to muck things up for future versions if I then
> delete it completely?

Yep, which is why you wouldn't delete it.

> I suppose that leaving epoch in there permanently shouldn't hurt,
> but it's a bit misleading.

Well, epoch is there for situations where the version number doesn't
give port enough information to determine correctly which version is
later. (So for situations where the developer changes version number
schemes, for example).

> A question now to everyone using tor or tor-devel: what does "port -
> v outdated" yield for you?  My testing, like that of Chris Pickel,
> suggests that rpm-vercomp is working fine; I don't quite understand
> the Tcl to understand exactly what port.tcl is doing.

If it's working fine, then you don't need it ... but if port isn't
correctly determining the newer version is newer, you could use epoch
to tell it that it is.

--
Daniel J. Luke