Tor and unusual version numbers

Salvatore Domenick Desiano sal at ri.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 27 07:42:29 PDT 2007

o - yes, epoch is always considered first in outdated version comparisons. It is
o undefined what would happen if an epoch was removed. Never do that. (I believe
o that a port without an epoch is considered to have an epoch of zero). If
o you've added epoch once to a port you should never remove it, only increase
o it. That should not really be a problem.

It seems interesting to me that adding an epoch, even once, condemns the
Portfile to have epochs for eternity. Maybe this doesn't matter, but I
thought it worth mentioning. It also may be worth including the epoch in
the "outdated" display.

o Now, can anybody give me any valid data on a case where there's a failure to
o detect an outdated version? If so, what does port info show for version and
o epoch, and what's the installed version? In other words, what is the data that
o the outdated routines are comparing?

I don't know if my version of port is too outdated to be useful, but I
end up seeing:

sal at cobblehill:sal>port info tor
tor 0.1.1.26, security/tor (Variants: universal)
http://tor.eff.org/

Tor provides a distributed network of servers (onion
routers). Users bounce their TCP streams (web
traffic, FTP, SSH, etc.) around the routers. This
makes it hard for recipients, observers, and even the
onion routers themselves to track the source of the
stream.

Library Dependencies: libevent, openssl, zlib
Platforms: darwin
Maintainers: nomaintainer at macports.org
sal at cobblehill:sal>port installed tor
  tor @0.1.1.26_0 (active)
sal at cobblehill:sal>port -d outdated tor
DEBUG: Found port in
file:///Users/sal/Projects/MacPorts/macports-trunk/dports/security/tor
No installed ports are outdated.

-- Sal
smile.

  Salvatore Domenick Desiano