Semicolon in long_description, say

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Apr 28 23:03:58 PDT 2007

I want to use a semicolon in the long_description of a port, minivmac
in this case:

	The default is to emulate a Mac Plus (1986-1990); this is also the
best-tested and therefore recommended emulation.

If I just include the semicolon by itself, as I would expect to be
able to do, portindex blows up. Apparently I have to escape the
semicolon in some way.

If I precede the semicolon with a backslash, as some ports do (p5-
html-strip, xephem, xercesj, monit, abclock, xcircuit, starfighter,
ski, galaxis, zile, pccts, nbench-byte), then the word with which the
semicolon ends is surrounded with curly braces in the output of port
info:

	The default is to emulate a Mac Plus {(1986-1990);} this is also the
best-tested and therefore recommended emulation.

If I enclose the entire description string in quotation marks, as
some other ports do (xearth, plplot), then the entire description
string is surrounded by curly braces in port info:

	{The default is to emulate a Mac Plus (1986-1990); this is also the
best-tested and therefore recommended emulation.}

So... what's the solution here to get just a plain semicolon
displayed in port info?