MP # of ports compared to other managers

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Apr 30 00:53:01 PDT 2007

Okay, this may seem like a silly question, but it seems the the rate of
new ports has tapered off and we're treading water at near 4000.  No doubt
that will creep up slowly, but I see Fink has roughly 8,000 and FreeBSD
double that.  Is that because they have more legacy software that we don't
use?  I just wonder what type of stuff they have that we don't, especially
since it seems like we're not missing too much that people are asking for.
 What is it about our user base that makes us content with 1/2 the number
of available ports?  Or is it just me?  Are we content with our available
ports?

Mark