depends_lib, depends_build, depends_run, oh my

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Aug 6 10:07:15 PDT 2007

Oops.  Resending to the list with the correct address minus the cc's.

>Have various dependency questions here. I couldn't find info on this
>in the new guide.
>
>Why do we have depends_lib, depends_build and depends_run? Why not
>just a single "depends"? Why does it matter which phase requires the
>other software? Isn't it enough to know that the other software is
>required at some point, and so MacPorts should install that other
>software first?
>
>What are these three keywords supposed to denote? I thought
>"depends_lib" was for libraries a program links with (e.g. gettext),
>"depends_build" was for things only the build system needs (e.g.
>pkgconfig) and "depends_run" was for binaries that need to be present
>at runtime (e.g. I have no idea).

I have the same questions.  I would really like to get accurate
information on this into the new guide.  The only section of the old guide
relating to it that I can find is not helpful:
http://geeklair.net/macports_guide/ch03.html#additional%20options

The portfile.7 has more (pasted below), but is there any real functional
difference between these?  It seems llike they are functionally the same
in practice and ports listed as dependencies all get installed before any
phases of a port are begun.  Were the three distinguished for some future
use not yet implemented?  Can someone explain this so it can be documented?

Mark

     depends_build