Need dependency doc help .. was Re(2): [27554] trunk/doc/

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Thu Aug 9 08:22:04 PDT 2007

Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> writes:
>> +      <title>Non-Port Dependencies</title>
>> +
>> +      <para>Port dependencies should refer to other MacPort ports
>> whenever
>> +      possible. However, if satisfying a dependency with a port is
>> not
>> +      practical or desirable for a special reason, you may specify
>> +      dependencies in the Unix standard binary, library, or a
>> specified
>> +      path.</para>
>
>The end of this is reading a little weird. "you may specify
>dependencies in the Unix standard binary, library, or a specified path"?

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for paying attention to this.  I made another try at it.  See if
that is better.  For others, the dependency section is 5.2 here:

http://geeklair.net/new_macports_guide/

Does MacPorts just check the shells's path for bin: dependencies, correct?
 And where exactly does it search for lib: dependecies?  Also, the old
guide mentions the additonal keywords:

depends_fetch
depends_extract

Are those still used?  They seem unnecessary.

>The paragraph talks of rrdtool, but the example shows python24.

Fixed that.

>The python24 binary is not a library dependency so should not be
>introduced with depends_lib. It is perhaps a run-time dependency or
>possibly a build-time dependency.
>
>> +
>> +      <para>In this path style dependency, if the <filename>nano</
>> filename>
>> +      binary is not found in the path /usr/bin/nano the nano port
>> will be
>> +      installed.</para>
>> +
>> +      <programlisting>depends_lib         path:/usr/bin/nano:nano</
>> programlisting>
>
>This should also not be shown as depends_lib because it isn't a
>library; it's a binary.

Got it. I changed the python example to depends_build and nano to
depends_run.  Thanks a lot for paying attention to this.

Mark