Cvs variant in portfile

Sbranzo sbranzo at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 02:38:12 PDT 2007

On 10/08/07 20:17, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Why are you adding such a variant? Under which circumstances might a user
> want, or not want, to select it? I'm trying to figure out why you don't just
> fetch from CVS all the time, as that would seem to simplify things, wouldn't
> it? Variants are not supposed to change the version of the installed
> software, so if it's the same version, why would anyone care whether it's
> fetched from CVS or somewhere else, so long as it's fetched?

Yes, I could fetch the source once in a while, create an archive and
place it somewhere. By now cvs it's the only way of following slrn
development, because the debian unstable source used before are
outdated and the last stable release is from 2005. Using an external
snapshot of cvs solved the problem of hosting the tarball, and updating
it every time I want to test a new version.

I'm fetching from cvs because for me it's easier to update, it's just a
matter of changing the date of the snapshot, see if compiles and run
and ask someone here on macports-dev to update my port (I don't have the
commit bit).

> The immediate answer to your question, I think, is that the commands you are
> issuing are not valid TCL commands, and are therefore are not getting
> executed, and therefore the ./configure script, which the configure phase it
> trying to run, does not exist, hence the error message about no such file or
> directory. Hopefully if you would run the install in debug mode ("sudo port
> -dv install"), error messages to this effect would be printed. I think you
> would need something like this:
>
>         pre-configure {
>                 system "cd ${worksrcdir} && autopoint -f"
>                 system "cd ${worksrcdir} && aclocal -I autoconf"
>                 system "cd ${worksrcdir} && autoheader"
>                 system "cd ${worksrcdir} && automake --foreign
> --add-missing"
>                 system "cd ${worksrcdir} && autoconf"
>         }

Not using "system" was wrong, but there's another problem:

[....]
--->  Verifying checksum(s) for slrn-devel
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.checksum (slrn-devel)
--->  Extracting slrn-devel
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.extract (slrn-devel)
DEBUG: Executing org.macports.patch (slrn-devel)
--->  Configuring slrn-devel
DEBUG: Executing proc-pre-org.macports.configure-configure-0
DEBUG: delete: config.guess
Error: Target org.macports.configure returned: no such file or directory
Warning: the following items did not execute (for slrn-devel): org.macports.activate org.macports.configure org.macports.build org.macports.destroot org.macports.archive org.macports.install

Using configure.cmd as kindly suggested on the other email doesn't work
either and leads to the same output.

macport version is 1.5.0 on tiger powerpc 10.4.10

Thanks,
Gufo