moving "macports1.0" to ${prefix}

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Thu Aug 16 10:39:32 PDT 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 02:15, Anders F Björklund wrote:

> For MacPorts 1.6, it might be a good idea to consider moving
> "macports1.0" from the current @TCL_PACKAGE_DIR@ directory to the
> @prefix_expanded@/share/macports/Tcl directory, in order to make
> the MacPorts installation self-contained within the designated
> prefix ?
>
> If the "macports1.0" module needs to be in the system's Tcl package
> directory in order for other (inferior) software to find it, then
> can't this be accomplished by setting up a symbolic link ? e.g. /
> Library/Tcl/macports1.0 -> /opt/local/share/macports/Tcl/macports1.0

I'll register a "please, no!". The whole point of putting macports
in /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 was to support "inferior" software that
needs to be able to find the system's macports installation,
regardless of ${prefix}.

There's always --with-tclpackage, so people can do this manually if
they need to.

-landonf