moving "macports1.0" to ${prefix}

Landon Fuller landonf at macports.org
Thu Aug 16 11:22:48 PDT 2007

On Aug 16, 2007, at 11:10, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Landon Fuller wrote:

>>> What software is this?
>> Any third party tool that rightfully expects "package require
>> macports" to work.
>
> I'm just trying to get a sense of what we're talking about here, as
> we're discussing trade offs between competing concerns.

OK, then I'll simplify.

Arguments For Moving:
	Developers can install multiple versions without passing --with-
tclpackage to configure (but they still have to pass a custom --
prefix to configure)

Arguments Against Moving:
	Placing the Tcl package in the standard Tcl package directory means
that external tools can find the system MacPorts library out of the box.

It seems to me like developers already have an easily solution to
their problem.

-landonf