moving "macports1.0" to ${prefix}

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Thu Aug 16 12:56:25 PDT 2007

Landon Fuller wrote:

> The choice was originally made to support the GUI PortsManager app. I
> think it was a good choice.

I keeping the default of /Library/Tcl/macports1.0 is enough bring the
GUI PortsManager.app back to life in good working order, then by all
means keep the current location of @TCL_PACKAGE_DIR@ :-)

I don't understand why the external software couldn't just look for the
module in /opt/local, if indeed nobody has no more than installation
and never move it, but maybe it is indeed harder to do...

> Except that nobody, other than developers, will be running multiple
> MacPorts installations. You're taking a simple fix to a simple
> problem:
> 	- Install MacPorts in the standard Tcl library directory, where
> external software can access it.

This is the current default, so if that's the best then do nothing /
keep it. As noted, those who want it moved can do so either using
configure or after the installation.

For the record, here are the default locations:
Darwin: /Library/Tcl/macports1.0
FreeBSD: /usr/local/lib/tcl8.4/macports1.0
Linux: /usr/share/tcl8.4/macports1.0

> I hold that this is an entirely aesthetically-driven bike shed. Unless
> there's a *really good reason* to change something, why don't we just
> leave it, and the original logic behind it, alone?

The main reason it was moved was to support packaging solutions (on
other platforms) that only supported installing things in the
designated prefix (e.g. /opt/local) and not in system directories
(without choosing / as the root of the install, and supplying both the
pats in full).

But it was *only* during this packaging process, and it was restored
into the system location by the use of a install script and similarly
removed again from there with a uninstall script. It doesn't have to
affect the standard install location unless we want it to, it was just
an idea...

--anders

PS. But for those that *do* keep it in their ${prefix}, I would suggest
having it located at ${prefix}/share/macports/Tcl so the location
mayhem can be kept to a minimum... :-)