Don't clear the Version field

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 18 08:28:40 PDT 2007

On Aug 17, 2007, at 13:31, N_Ox wrote:

> Le 17 août 07 à 09:46, Ryan Schmidt a écrit :
>
>> In bugs like this one...
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12496
>>
>> ...you've removed the value of the Version field. I'd like to ask
>> you not to do so. It's useful to know what version of MacPorts a
>> user had when they encountered a given bug.
>
> Well, in bugs like this one, this is useless, as this is truly an
> mport violation and so a port bug, where base/ version is irrelevant.
> We should clearly tell what to do with the version field in
> NewTracTicketing.

I didn't think the purpose or use of the Version field was unclear.
I've never looked it up in any guide, but to me it's obvious: fill in
the version of MacPorts you were using when you experienced the bug.
Doesn't matter what kind of bug it is. If it's irrelevant for a
particular bug, fine, but I always prefer too much information to too
little information. And if guidelines for the use of this field are
to be written, they shouldn't read "Fill in the version of MacPorts
if it's relevant" because we can't expect the user to know if it's
relevant.