Categories are evil

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Wed Aug 22 07:57:29 PDT 2007

On 2007-08-22 10:13:18 -0400, Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Aug 22, 2007, at 5:34 AM, Randall Wood wrote:
>> I understand that some directories under the proposed scheme may be large,
>> such as /p/p5, /p/py, /g/gn but it seems that this would not be any real
>> change from the current situation for the perl, python, devel, and other
>> directories that exist now.
>
> I don't understand what this scheme buys us (other than port maintainers
> not having to choose a place to put a port).

But that should be easier to find where a port is located (and the
primary category could be changed more easily if need be).

Moreover, if this is implemented, I think that prefixes should be
optional, so that those who use a local source with a few ports only
could choose to avoid prefixes.

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>