[28266] trunk/dports/x11/gtk2/Portfile

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Aug 27 02:40:51 PDT 2007

Randall Wood wrote:

>> I'm a little confused... It sounds like the port now a) depends on
>> cups-headers on darwin 7, and b) when darwin < 8, complains that
>> cups-headers may conflict, and advises uninstalling it. Aren't those
>> two contradictory?
>
> You're right, the "<" should be ">=" thanks for catching that. Now if
> only man portfile said more than "Compare two RPM-format versions for
> equality." when describing rpm-vercomp

Currently it says:
      rpm-vercomp versionA versionB
          Compare two RPM-format versions for equality.

The source code has the additional information:
"RPM compatible version comparison
  * If A is newer than B, return an integer > 0
  * If A and B are equal, return 0
  * If B is newer than A, retun an integer < 0"
(the spelling error has probably been there a while,
and no idea why function is named comp and not cmp)

The function  is called "rpmvercmp" in RPM,
and it is found in <rpm/rpmevr.h> nowadays...

http://rpm5.org/docs/api/group__rpmds.html
(it was re-implented using EVRcmp in 4.4.7)

--anders

PS. The return values are the same as for strcmp(3).