[31640] trunk/base

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Dec 2 15:45:07 PST 2007

On Nov 30, 2007, at 21:32, jmpp at macports.org wrote:

> The ChangeLog was orignally meant to be a user-parsable file
> listing only major changes to base, so that we could
> use it in our release process to advertise our new goodies.
> Unfortunately, lately it has turned into a litle bit
> of a file tracking commits to base, with a little bit of user level
> information and a lot of gaps in between to
> do either one right, bleh!
>
> Therefore add a real user-parsable NEWS file in which new features
> and bug fixes for each release will be advertised,
> starting with the contents of 1.6.0
>
> Here's hoping that from now on the ChangeLog will turn into a file
> that truly tracks commits to base, with proper revision
> numbers for each entry and ticket numbers in case of bug fixes,
> after being spared from having to remain user-parsable.

Can't people who are interested in that kind of information just read
the Subversion log? I don't want to have to bother with updating the
ChangeLog every time I change something on base. Granted, it's not
that often for me. But for others who make many changes on base, this
would seem to be annoying.