Final steps for 1.6

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 6 23:56:44 PST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007, at 22:26, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> I'm just curious, and I hope you'll pardon my attack of manager-
> ness here, but what [hopefully documented] list of objectives
> drives each release?  In other words, how do you know when you're
> "done" for 1.6 or, perhaps more importantly, 1.7?  Is it your
> personal TODO list, as you note below, or is there a more global
> project TODO list driving the release parameters?

Releases seem pretty arbitrary to me. In the case of 1.6, I think the
important feature was:

     - added startupitem.netchange boolean flag (#12931, N_Ox in
r30086).

because I think we were seeing more of these failures on Leopard,
though I haven't seen many lately on the list so maybe that was a
false diagnosis.

I thought there was another thing we were eager to release but
looking through the ChangeLog I'm not reminded what it was.

The release of "port lint" is important to me because it means we can
finally write that post-commit hook that emails information from
"port lint" to commiters and/or maintainers.

I know you've argued in the past for abandoning "releases" as such. I
guess we're just continuing with the existing strategy for now.