[31791] trunk/dports/devel

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Dec 7 13:44:27 PST 2007

On Dec 7, 2007, at 12:44, Adam Mercer wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2007 1:18 PM, Weissmann Markus wrote:
>
>> Please do not do this! This will end up in a dead-lock!!!
>>
>> "bzr activate" will wait for "bazaar activate" to finish, which will
>> never happen (as "bazaar install" is waiting for "bzr activate").
>
> I did it this way as this is the approach the abiword2 port uses to
> change to the abiword-x11 port.  So how can I achieve this and avoid
> the dead-lock?

I haven't looked at your changes and I don't know if the deadlock
Markus describes will occur. But I have suggested a couple times that
we should have a portfile keyword like "superseded_by" which can be
used to indicate that a given port name is obsolete. Behavior of this
keyword would be that anyone who has the port installed and uses port
upgrade sees this port as needing to be upgraded. Anyone who attempts
to upgrade this port gets a message that they need to uninstall this
port and install this other port. Once those steps are implemented
and released, we could look into more elegant solutions including
MacPorts automatically uninstalling the old port and installing the
new one with the same variants or something, but I don't think that's
essential.