Final steps for 1.6

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Sat Dec 8 17:55:25 PST 2007

On 2007-12-07 13:38:26 -0400, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:
> 	Adding our setting to MANPATH *only-if-it-already-exists* *and* if
> we're not already in there was agreed here to be the "lesser evil" for
> the time being, so that's what we're doing. If MANPATH does not exist at
> all (different from existing but being empty, or otherwise not containing
> our path), we don't add anything there and instead let alternative
> methods to their work (manpath(1), path_helper(8), whatever). If MANPATH
> exists (thus probably overriding the work of those alternate methods),
> and does not contain our path, then (and only then) we add it. If I'm not
> mistaken, having an *existing* MANPATH variable that does not contain our
> path is precisely the situation that breaks our man pages and what we're
> trying to remedy.

No, the user can have a $MANPATH while still being able to use
the standard man paths. You should check that MANPATH doesn't
contain an empty path. There are 3 cases:

  :path_list
  path_list:
  path_list::path_list

(and of course the case where $MANPATH is empty).

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>