propchange - r31472 svn:log

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 10 06:04:47 PST 2007

On Nov 28, 2007, at 01:37, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> On Nov 27, 2007, at 9:50 AM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Remove the Author: line. Instead, make the propchange email come
>> from the author, instead of the original committer. Also, put the
>> author's address in the Reply-To, not the committer's.
>>
>> Also, we need to see what the old property value was, not just
>> what the new value is. Ideally, it would be nice to see a Trac-
>> style colored diff of the changes, just like we have for the post-
>> commit emails. But the whole point of these mails is that if
>> someone screws up badly and obliterates a property, the old value
>> of the property is in the mail so anyone can repair it. Without
>> this, there's no way to repair it, unless someone magically knows
>> what the property value should be.
>>
>> I looked into this before and couldn't find any way for svn-notify
>> (which we currently use for post-commit mails) to produce post-
>> revprop-change emails. We may wish to switch mail scripts entirely
>> to one that can support both types of mail.
>
> 	svn-notify wasn't designed for revprops, so that'll certainly be a
> bit difficult accomplishing. About another mail scripts package,
> I'm not personally acquainted with any other, so suggestions are
> more than welcome (hoping they fit in Mac OS Forge's framework).

I was sure I had mentioned this and suggested some alternatives
earlier but I can't find that message now. The script mentioned in
the post-commit.tmpl template file placed into the hooks directory of
new repositories -- commit-email.pl -- can handle both commit emails
and revprop-change emails so that would be one option. commit-
email.rb and mailer.py are other scripts but I don't know if they do
revprop-change emails. All three are provided by the subversion
port's +tools variant. Descriptions of all three are here: http://
subversion.tigris.org/tools_contrib.html (only commit-email.pl
explicitly mentions supporting revprop-change emails there)

> 	In any case, the new revprop mail format will look as follows:
>
> == headers ==
>
> From: revprop edit author
>
> == message body ==
>
> Revision: revision to which the property being edited belongs (just
> as it is now)
> Author: author of the commit of the revision above ("original author")
> Property Name: revprop being edited (just as it is now)
>
> Old Property Value (we currently don't know if this is retrievable,
> these properties being unversioned by definition -- looking into it):

According to the comments in the post-revprop-change.tmpl file, the
old property value is passed to the hook script via stdin.