[31857] trunk/doc-new/guide/xml/portfileref.xml

Simon Ruderich simon at ruderich.com
Mon Dec 10 06:28:39 PST 2007

On Mon, Dec 10, 2007 at 06:15:28AM -0600, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007, at 05:50, ryandesign at macports.org wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> There needs to be a way in the guide to indicate which parts should be typed
> verbatim and which are placeholders which should be replaced. Manpages, for
> example, use bold for things to be typed verbatim, and underline for things
> to be replaced.
>
> Someone reading the above might think that "glob pattern" should be replaced
> with the glob pattern, when in fact "glob" is the function name and should
> be typed verbatim while "pattern" is to be replaced with the pattern.

The tag <replaceable> can be used for this. It also looks fine in the man
pages (underlined). But this part is not yet added to the generated man pages,
but we will add it soon.

I just committed 31862 which should fix this:
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/changeset/31862
What do you think?

Thanks for the hint,
Simon