[31766] trunk/dports/audio/libao

Weissmann Markus mww at macports.org
Tue Dec 11 13:51:25 PST 2007

On 11.12.2007, at 19:28, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2007, at 02:30, Landon Fuller wrote:
>
>> On Dec 6, 2007, at 3:37 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>>
>>> Don't change this now, but remember for next time that the first
>>> revision of a given port version is 0, not 1. In the future, just
>>> remove the revision line when upgrading a port's version to get
>>> the default revision of 0.
>>
>> The default is helpful (I use it), but what's -wrong- with being
>> explicit?
>
> Nothing's wrong with specifying "revision 0", certainly. It's just
> not necessary. Mostly, I was pointing out that the revision should
> have been 0, not 1.

>>> Patchfiles should be named "patch-whatever.diff". See "port lint".
>>
>> I guess the same question here. Is there really something wrong
>> with not using the .diff extension? These patches match the
>> original naming guidelines, but they were just guidelines.
>
> I've addressed this before, but my objection is that files should
> be named with an extension that identifies their content. Nevermind
> if you think filename extensions are a good or bad idea in general.
> On Mac OS X, they're a good idea, because you can associate files
> with programs based on the file's extension. If I want all diff
> files opened in TextWrangler, which I do, then I want to be able to
> inform the OS of that. If you don't name the diff files with a
> consistent extension (e.g. .diff), I cannot do this.
>
> Furthermore, TextWrangler performs syntax highlighting based on the
> filename extension. If you call a file patch-AU-
> src__plugins__macosx__ao_macosx.c, TextWrangler thinks it is a C
> file and tries to syntax-highlight it as a C file. But it is not a
> C file. It is a difference of two C files. These are not equivalent.

There are two kinds of files in the files directory: Patches and
other files. Patches are prefixed with "patch-" which makes it
obvious that they are patches already.
And for viewing them: How do you highlight diff files? If they are C
diffs you could highlight them as C code and if they are Python diffs
you can highlight the Python keywords. Your argument actually speaks
against the redundant ".patch" extension.

Regards,

-Markus

---
Dipl. Inf. (FH) Markus W. Weissmann