destroot.violate_mtree and warning during install

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Mon Dec 17 02:22:48 PST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007, at 10:54, Simon Ruderich wrote:

> I updated the ntfs-3g and added destroot.violate_mtree yes because
> it installs
> a file into /sbin (which is necessary).
>
> Now a user reported to me he gets the following warning during
> install:
>
> --->  Fetching ntfs-3g
> --->  Verifying checksum(s) for ntfs-3g
> --->  Extracting ntfs-3g
> --->  Configuring ntfs-3g
> --->  Building ntfs-3g with target all
> --->  Staging ntfs-3g into destroot
> Warning: ntfs-3g requests to install files outside the common
> directory structure!
> --->  Installing ntfs-3g 1.1120_0
> --->  Activating ntfs-3g 1.1120_0
> --->  Cleaning ntfs-3g
>
> Is this okay or did I miss anything?

This is normal. The port does request to install files outside of the
common directory structure. That's what you've indicated by adding
"destroot.violate_mtree" to the portfile. port is simply informing
the user of this, because otherwise the user might rightly assume
that all items were installed in "normal" places within ${prefix}.