Documentation section 4.4.2 question/variant_isset

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Dec 18 15:18:30 PST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007, at 12:43, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> I don't think we should strongly recommend variant_isset usage in
> portfiles (in fact, I think we should recommend against it unless
> the alternative is extremely messy).
>
> In the section 4.4.2 example, it seems much cleaner to do the
> following:
>
> post-destroot {
> 	xinstall -m 755 -d ${destroot}${prefix}/etc/
> 	xinstall ${worksrcpath}/examples/foo.conf ${destroot}${prefix}/etc/
> }
> variant carbon {
> 	post-destroot {
> 		delete ${destroot}${prefix}/bin/emacs
> 		delete ${destroot}${prefix}/bin/emacs-${version}
> 	}
> }
> Since macports will run both post-destroot procs, the variant's
> code is then all contained within the variant.

I strongly agree.

Of course, the example also need not use -m 755 on the xinstall -d
command since 755 is the default mode for directories anyway.

Of course, the example also need not xinstall -d ${destroot}${prefix}/
etc/ at all since that directory already exists as part of the
hierarchy MacPorts creates in the destroot directory right before the
destroot phase.