Should /opt/local/bin/perl be deleted too ?

Boyd Waters bwaters at nrao.edu
Thu Dec 20 10:52:21 PST 2007

On Dec 20, 2007, at 2:09 AM, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> On 2007-12-20 10:00:24 +0100, Anders F Björklund wrote:
>> http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/13641
>>
>> Perl 5.10.0 has now been released, so there are now two
>> stable port versions available: "perl5.8" and "perl5.10"
>
> Is there a need for two different ports?

Since you can't specify a version when you install a port, or use a
port in a dependency, then I've been told to just go ahead and make a
separate port.

Sometimes. But only if you know ahead of time that some people want
one version of a port, while others may want another.

Which I think is insane, but that's the way that MacPorts likes to do
it.

I'd love to work on port versioning, so that we could ASK for a
particular version.

I think that port versions would take this:

lang/perl58/Portfile
lang/perl510/Portfile

  and do something like this:

lang/perl/Portfile-5.8
lang/perl/Portfile-5.10
lang/perl/Portfile --> Portfile-5.10

   where MacPorts manages the symlink.

Of course, it's much more involved than that.

   - boyd

Boyd Waters
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~bwaters