Should /opt/local/bin/perl be deleted too ?

Vincent Lefevre vincent-opdarw at vinc17.org
Fri Dec 21 15:54:05 PST 2007

On 2007-12-21 10:34:00 -0500, robert delius royar wrote:
> I compiled perl 5.10.0 with the same configuration that macports 5.8.8
> used.  [I have the perl5.8 port set as the primary perl interpretor and
> have created links in /usr/local/[bin|lib|share] to make it so that
> other software finds macports perl before the system one--including
> apache.]
>
> When I tried to run a module through 5.10.0 from CPAN (Net::TiVo),
> 5.10.0 failed because a bundle from macports (p5-digest-sha1) referenced
> a symbol not in the 5.10.0 version:
[...]

I'd say that you probably need to recompile every module (well, those
that don't contain just Perl code) against 5.10. BTW, that may be a
reason to have a single Perl port installed (activated). Otherwise
the risk of using some module with a different Perl version for which
it has been built would be too high IMHO.

> dyld: lazy symbol binding failed: Symbol not found: _Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Digest/SHA1/SHA1.bundle
>   Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> dyld: Symbol not found: _Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr
>   Referenced from: /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.10.0/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/Digest/SHA1/SHA1.bundle
>   Expected in: dynamic lookup
>
> Trace/BPT trap
>
> I suspect there may be a number of these. Perl_Tstack_sp_ptr() was in
> CORE in 5.8.  I believe that it is part of the pre-5.8 legacy code and
> in there for compatibility with verions that expected functions for what
> are array or incrementable pointer variables.
>
> It is defined in the 5.8.8 source in perlapi.h but not defined anywhere
> in the 5.10.0 source.

I don't know what you try to mean exactly, but Digest-SHA1 2.11 is
compatible with Perl 5.10 as you can see:

  http://cpantesters.perl.org/show/Digest-SHA1.html

--
Vincent Lefèvre <vincent at vinc17.org> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.org/>