Different dmgs for different felines

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Fri Dec 28 08:11:30 PST 2007

Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> Why is it again that we need separate dmgs for separate OS releases at
> all? Why don't we just have a single universal dmg, with the PowerPC
> part built with the 10.3.9 SDK and the Intel part built with the 10.4u
> SDK, and everyone's happy? Isn't that the whole point of universal
> binaries and those SDKs?
>
> Frankly, that's how I'd like ports built too, when the +universal binary
> is selected. But that can be a separate topic for another day.

As +universal is not the default (a very good thing IMHO), why should we
distribute the MacPorts base system as universal?
I don't like these universal stuff at all, for most people it is
occupying disk space for no actual use. Most people will use one
MacPorts installation on one system - which is obviously one architecture.

Rainer