git-core hard link

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Sat Dec 29 02:53:52 PST 2007

On Sun, December 16, 2007 1:56 am, jt wrote:
> Just installed macports and git-core on 10.5 .
> I can see that lots of generated bin are just the same file:
>
> cd /opt/local/bin;
> for i in git-*; do diff -qs $i git-tag; done | grep identical | wc
>
> Some "cp" could be replaced by "ln" in the build process.

Aren't those all those ${prefix}/bin/git-* files hard links to
${prefix}/bin/git already?  The Makefile in the git source tarball sure
looks to me like that's what it's creating, and the link count reported
for each of those files by the second column of 'ls -l' is 2.
Furthermore, I'm pretty sure that a tool that Linus Torvalds uses for
managing Linux kernel development isn't going to copy when it could hard
link :)

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--