git-core hard link

Boey Maun Suang boeyms at macports.org
Sat Dec 29 15:55:02 PST 2007

On Sat, December 29, 2007 11:23 pm, jt wrote:
> On Dec 29, 2007 11:53 AM, Boey Maun Suang <boeyms at macports.org> wrote:
>> Aren't those all those ${prefix}/bin/git-* files hard links to
>> ${prefix}/bin/git already?  The Makefile in the git source tarball sure
>> looks to me like that's what it's creating, and the link count reported
>> for each of those files by the second column of 'ls -l' is 2.
>
> Then the link count should be 70 (if there are 70 identical files) and not
> 2.
> A "du -c git*" will also show that those files are not hard linked.

In that case, it might be worth checking with the upstream maintainers to
see if what occurs in the MacPorts installation should be occurring, and
if not, whether it is something that they should fix or that our port
maintainer should fix.  No sense wasting space if it can be avoided.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Kind regards,

Maun Suang

--