Default svn properties

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Sat Feb 3 17:11:09 PST 2007

	Hey everybody! I've been mailed privately concerning the log in one of
my recent commits to our repo (r21682), so I guess I was successful at
catching people's eyes ;-) I do know about svn pre and post commit
hooks, but I'm not that well versed in the matter, I'm just learning as
I go along. So I'd like to ask everyone for some help since we seem to
have some pretty experienced users here.

	Mark suggested publishing an officially recommended .subversion/config
file (most likely to our wiki), whereas Rolf spoke about a pre-commit
hook. I believe we should use both options to both ensure we get
everything we need in any given commit (.subversion/config file) and
that we constantly remind our committers of our requirements if for any
reason they happen to make an improper commit from a location without
an appropriate conf file (pre-commit hook): the latter should check if
all the properties we ask for are met for Portfiles and patchfiles upon
commit, though we'd have to discuss how to properly recognize every
single way to possibly name a patchfile; we could also toss in there
checks for mime types and execute bits, if appropriate.

	Please discuss and make your recommendations, and if anyone is willing
to do the writing, great! I can coordinate with kvv getting the
pre-commit hook installed where we need it.

	Thanks to all for your help! Regards,...

-jmpp