Spacing issues

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Fri Feb 9 09:43:59 PST 2007

On Feb 9, 2007, at 12:39 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I assume that's due to the stupid setting available in emacs or vi
> or whatever editor it is that actually encourages that behavior.
> The one where they've said "We want to indent to 4-space tabs.
> However, the editor is configured to print 8 spaces for a tab.
> Therefore, when we want to indent one level, we will use 4 spaces,
> and when we want to indent 2 levels, we will use one tab, and when
> we want to indent three levels, we will use one tab and then 4
> spaces." And so forth. I'm convinced such an editor setting exists
> somewhere, because I have seen this nonsense in other projects too,
> even to the extreme of 2-space indentation. (Indent sequence: 2
> spaces, 4 spaces, 6 spaces, one tab, one tab and 2 spaces, etc.)

I doubt that's the case. I see this in places where there's 2 tabs
followed by 4 spaces. Why would somebody have their tabs set to width
8 and then want to indent 4 for a nesting level? That makes no sense.

> No, not really a problem. I would accept extra disk space if this
> solution brought significant advantages, but I'm saying it brings
> drawbacks.

Do you view commenting code as a drawback as well? That adds far more
disk space than changing tabs to spaces does. The disk space is
simply a non-issue.

> I use TextWrangler, the free sibbling of BBEdit.
>
> Also, if I press the Tab key on the keyboard, it inserts a tab
> character. Even if I could tell the editor to insert spaces
> instead, I would not configure my editor this way, because that is
> not how I want to use my editor in every other text file that I edit.

Funny, I use soft tabs almost exclusively, and dislike it when I have
to switch back to hard tabs just to fit the indentation used by a
particular text file.

> Now I'm curious: What editor do other people use to edit their
> portfiles?

Usually TextMate, but sometimes vim.

> I'm just saying that you may like 2-space tabs, but I don't. If
> that's what we standardize on, I'll be unhappy. Someone else may
> like 3-space tabs, and they'll be unhappy unless we choose that.
> Why choose at all? Why not let the user choose with their editor's
> tab width setting? That's what it's for.

Sure, that's what it's for, but it doesn't work. Go look around at
the current source. Sure, it's mostly tabs, but I routinely run into
spaces mixed among the tabs and it causes indentation problems.

There's a reason that software projects often standardize their
coding style, including spacing conventions.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org
eridius at macports.org