Revamping home page left sidebar

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sun Feb 11 13:41:27 PST 2007

On Feb 11, 2007, at 15:05, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Regarding the left sidebar of links on
>
> http://www.macports.org/
>
> I have some suggestions.
>
> The term "Source Code" is not as obvious as "Download" which people
> are more familiar with.  We can say, we only provide source
> downloads, no binaries.

But there are also binaries provided.

This has come up before, and I still agree with it. Please change
"Source Code" to "Download" or "Downloads".

> Also, adding links to the the users, developers, ticket (bug
> report) changes, and source code changes mailing lists would be
> nice, so you don't have to hunt down the home page.

By total coincidence, I see the mailing lists are available under the
menu item "About Us." I would change that menu item to "Mailing Lists."

Also, I would remove the links to other Mac OS Forge projects, unless
having them there is a requirement of the deal.

The MacPorts web site seems to have the standard Mac OS Forge "look."
Is this required by the deal, or can it be changed to something
completely different? I don't like the default Mac OS Forge theme.

How can the MacPorts web site be changed? The old DarwinPorts web
site was in the repository, but where is the MacPorts web site, and
who all has the authority to change it?